Saturday, September 11, 2010
Realms of Cthulhu Contest
Much like last month's Savage Worlds Fantasy Companion contest, I have a copy of the Realms of Cthulhu PDF by Reality Blurs that I'm giving away! Sadly, I haven't even had a chance to get Realms of Cthulhu myself, but I'm going to give it some enterprising reader.
Similar set up to last month's contest, except I want horror encounters...the more Lovecraftian the better.
1) One entry per person, please.
2) You must provide a working e-mail address, or I can't get you the code for your free download. However, if you already own Realms of Cthulhu and would like to "gift" the it to a friend, provide me THEIR address and that can be arranged.
3) Elaborate as much or as little as you like, but if it's so long we get tired reading it? That'll work against you. Similarly, if it's too short to make us get into the idea of it, that'll work against you. Ideally, I would like to see it fit a single column page of a PDF, but if it's good, it's good.
4) Spell check and the like will go a long way towards helping your chances.
5) Any game stats provided in your encounter should be Savage Worlds stats. Please, do not duplicate any copy-written information (such as a monster's stat blocks from a SW book). If you create a whole new monster for the encounter, you should stat it. Similarly, noting that an adversary is, say, an Orc but with a Smarts of d8 and the Marksman Edge (for a crazy example) is fine. The encounter should fit in the horror genre...doesn't mean it can't contain elements from other genres, but it should primarily be a horror situation that could be dropped into a horror campaign with not too much work. The setting assumption should be Earth, say from 1900 to "five minutes into the future" (maybe you have a REALLY good 2012 idea, I dunno). Bonus points if you tie in the Mythos.
6) The contest is open immediately, and will run until 12 PM Central time on Monday, September 27th. I will announce the winner on or before October 1st. E-mail your entry to tommyb(at)sstelco(dot)com. You can do it in the body of the e-mail, in DOC or RTF format, or in PDF format. Any of those will work fine. Please include the name you wish used with the entry (real name, screen name, whatever) at the top of the entry. The winner will receive the prize code at the e-mail they have contacted me from.
7) My handpicked judges (who will remain anonymous) will read over and rank the entries "blind" (meaning I withhold the names of the authors), with the highest ranked being named the winner.
8) Your entry in the contest is granting me the right to use your encounter in the compilation, in which all authors will be fully credited with either their real name, or the screen name of their selection, but I lay no other claim to the copyright of the work...I just think it would be cool to give a little collection of ideas to everyone else. The Horror Encounters Compilation will be made available for free download shortly after the winner is announced.
Thank you to Reality Blurs and DriveThruRPG for making this possible!